The Triangle pose, Trikonasana (Tri = three, Kona = side, angle), is a standing posture providing a deep stretch to the entire side of the torso. Make sure the hips are aligned.
- From a standing posture, open the legs, feet parallel, width of one leg.
- Make a right angle with the right foot. Both heels are aligned.
- Extend and lift the left arm.
- Lean on the right side and make sure both hips are still aligned.
- Look up.
- Hold for 5-10 breaths then change side.
For a better control in the posture, slightly contract the quadriceps of the supporting leg and lock the knee cap.
- Stretches the hips, back muscles, chest and shoulders.
- Laterally stretches the spine.
- Strengthen the thighs, calves and buttocks.
- Stimulates the spinal nerves.
- In case of neck pain, avoid looking up in the posture.