MEDITATION ON A CANDLE (TRATAK)
Tratak is a meditation technique that consists in gazing at an object, traditionally at a candle light. Tratak is also a Kriya (purification technique) for the eyes.
- Light a candle and place it at about one meter in front of you.
- Sitting in a meditation posture, back straight, neck in line with the spine, eyes open, hands interlocked or on the knees.
- Gaze at the candle light and try not to blink.
- After a moment, close your eyes and visualise the flame.
- Repeat the exercise 3 times. Each time, increase the time of gazing and visualising a little bit.
- Finish with eyes closed focused in Ajna, between the eyebrows.
When the eyes are kept open without blinking, a prickling sensation in the eyes can be felt, that will stimulate the lacrymal glands and contribute to reinforce the eyes.
- Purifies and strengthens ocular globes.
- Reenforces the optical nerve.
- Stimulates the occipital lobe in the brain.
- Stimulates lacrymal glands.
- Reduces the amplitude and frequency of brain waves.
- Regulates the heart rate.
- Relaxes the brain and the nerves.
- Relaxes the entire organism in depth.
- Regulates sleep cycles.
- Calms down the mind.
- Increases the power of concentration and visualisation.
- Develops Ajna chakra and abilities linked to inner vision and clairvoyance.