ABDOMINAL LOCK (UDDIYANA BANDHA)
Uddiyana Bandha is part of the Bandhas (locks) family. The other Bandhas are Mula Bandha, contraction of the perineal region, and Jalandhara Bandha, contraction of the throat.
The aim of a Bandha is to lock certain areas of the body to channel the vital energy (prana) in some very specific directions, so that purification and awakening can occur in the chakras and the nadis (energy channels).
In Uddiyana Bandha, 3 kinds of energy are activated and redirected: Apana, Prana and Samana, respectively located in the lower abdomen, in the chest, and in the center of the abdomen. Uddiyana Bandha, when performed with the 2 other Bandhas, unites Apana and Prana in Samana, awakening a new type of energy.
When applied to Pranayama, Bandhas are very powerful techniques and should be approached with caution. It is essential to learn them with a qualified teacher to make sure they are performed correctly. They are showed here for information only and also because Uddiyana Bandha is necessary for the practice of Nauli.
Uddiyana Bandha can be practiced either in a standing or sitting posture. It is easier to learn it standing.
- Exhale completely (as in Simhasana, the Lion)
- Hold the breath on empty lungs.
- Hands on knees, knees bent, torso leaning forward, chin against the sternum.
- Pull the abdomen in using the sucking effect induced by the retention on empty lung.
- Hold without breathing for about 10 sec.
- Release the abdomen.
- Slowly come back up.
- Breath again.
- Repeat up to 3 times.
- Do not wait until the last moment to breath again otherwise you may cough.
- If dizziness occurs, do not insist.
- This technique should be practiced on a stomach completely empty.
- Powerful tonic for the abdominal organs.
- Stimulates digestion.
- Eliminates constipation.
- Stimulates oxygenation of the cells.
- Stimulates elimination of carbonic dioxide and other gaseous wastes.
- Clears the solar plexus from all kinds of tension and blockage (physical and emotional)
- Stomach ulcer
- Abdomen injury
- Hypertension or hypotension
- Cardiac problems