Nauli (Abdominal Churning)
Nauli consists in rotating the central part of the abdomen while holding the breath on empty lungs.Nauli is one of these legendary techniques which the ancient texts of yoga mention with great respect for their numerous benefits on health. Nauli allows to keep the abdominal region in a perfect state of health. it is especially efficient to improve digestion and elimination. One who practices Nauli regularly can digest almost anything and do not experience constipation. It truly is amazing to stimulate the digestive fire and remove all kind of tensions accumulated in the abdomen. Nauli takes some time to master, mainly because the deep muscles in the abdomen normally do not respond to conscious will. But with regular practice and proper efforts in the right direction, results can be felt eventually and one can then enjoy the fantastic benefits of this practice. Before being able to practice Nauli, it is necessary to be comfortable with two other important practices : – Uddiyana Bandha – Agni Sara These techniques are the necessary prerequisites to perform Nauli. Refer to index of practices for further details.
- In Uddiyana Bandha, preferably standing, isolate the central part of the abdomen muscles. The sides of the abdomen are hollow and the central part is literally emerging.
- Try then to move the central part of the abdominal muscles to right side.
- Then to the left.
- Once step 1 and 2 are mastered, repeat the movement from right to left several times in a movement of rotation.
- Repeat in the other direction.
In the beginning, this part of the body may not seem to respond to conscious will. This is absolutely normal. It may take a little time until the neuronal connections controlling these muscles are activated. With regular practice, the connections are established and muscles start to move a little. Even if one cannot perform Nauli entirely, many benefits can be felt at trying.
- Provides a vigorous massage to the organs in the abdomen: stomach, intestines, liver, spleen, pancreas…
- Stimulates digestive fire.
- Eliminates constipation.
- Considerably accelerates gaseous exchanges because of the retention on empty lungs.
- Stimulates the heart and the blood circulation.
- Stimulates the brain irrigation.
- Stomach ulcer
- Abdomen injury
- Heart condition